Monday, July 23, 2012

A Little Bit of Home

I was fortunate enough to get the car today. I have been stuck in the house for over a week with nothing to do but read and it's getting a little old. Technically I'm not supposed to be using this left leg at all BUT I'm getting cabin fever so when Jeff took the Mustang today I hopped in the Jetta and have been driving around today.

First stop was the Annex so I could see if they had any vegetable plants I could buy and plant into our garden. Nope! I did end up seeing a gorgeous spider plant - so bushy with babies growing that I couldn't resist and I bought that along with the Herb Grow Bag so I could start cat grass, cilantro, and basil. (My cats better thank me for the cat grass that will be soon growing!)

I've been wanting to get a houseplant, especially a spider plant, since they are known for eliminating household toxins in the air. Now that I've become all about going as organic, all natural, etc a houseplant was definitely something I needed. I'd honestly like to buy numerous amounts of them and put them in our bedrooms as well but because we'll be moving off island within a few months I didn't want to spend that money and have to either give the plants away or throw them out when we leave. I really hope I don't have to throw out my spider plant, whom I've already named Sylvia, haha! (See how sad and pathetic I've become if I'm naming my plants now?) It's so bad that I actually named our two tomato plants Bob & Bob jr and named our cucumber plant Larry - yes, Veggie Tales *may* have been my inspiration. :)

Anyways, I also found some little carton seed containers I had bought years ago so I put in some soil and planted 3 pole beans and I'm going to attempt sowing the spinach seeds in our little spot where the tomatoes are. I'm not sure how or if they will grow directly in the dirt we have here but we'll see. I didn't want to start spinach in a pot because the back of the package says to just sow it right into the ground so I'll cross my fingers that it'll grow that way.

Next on my To-Do list? I think I'll head to the Salvation Army. I want to see if they have any cheap pots and while I'm there maybe I can find Ethan some shorts for school. I love the thrift store so much but the one out here is expensive for a Salvation Army. Their clothes are like $5 and up! I'm used to the one in RI where clothes were like $5 and below. Oh well.. Hawaii isn't ALL glitz and glam, haha! You definitely have to fork out the dough if you want to live here.

Before I end this entry..is anyone into prepping? I started watching that prepper show and I love it. Heck, I was already in the prepping mindset before seeing that show but since seeing I definitely want to prep more. Our goal is to become entirely self sufficient and be able to live off the grid. I really want to leave the island so I can REALLY start stockpiling. We can't exactly prep out here because when we move in April they aren't going to ship all that kind of stuff so I haven't really done much of anything out here. Let's hope a natural disaster, financial disaster, etc doesn't happen before we leave here or else we'd be unprepared!

I think in the future I may do another post on prepping just because I find it so fascinating and even if you think this country will be fine it's still good to learn some tricks just in case you do find yourself in a situation. I want to learn how to survive in case something bad were to happen.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, we are sort of doing the prepping thing, I've got a small stockpile in the basement. I guarantee you we will be the best smelling people ever in a crisis. We don't plan on going off the grid or anything, but if an earthquake or something hit we would be able to survive for a couple weeks with the water we have. I don't know if I can get into canning...It just doesn't look tasty enough. Next year we will probably buy a couple guns. If it was the end of the world...oh well I'd rather not survive.
    Dec. 21 is getting closer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning that nothing will happen on Dec 21st just like nothing happened at Y2K. Just because the Mayans stopped making the calendar doesn't mean the world IS going to end..at least, I hope not, haha! They probably just got tired of making a calendar so far off into the future, right??? I like to think like that so I don't get scared.
    I bought a magazine dedicated to canning (haven't read it yet) but I did buy some Mason Jars when I saw them at the thrift store a few weeks ago. They have no lids (no idea where I can just buy lids) but I figured I'd get the jars just in case & maybe start practicing canning. It doesn't look appetizing but I think if that was the only option we had available I'd definitely dig in & eat some food from a jar, haha! I'm just kind of worried that if I make a mistake I won't know it & then we'll die of food poisoning, haha!
    I think even if it is the end of the world I still want to survive. Just the thought of dying because of something like THAT makes me want to survive even more. If I want to take my life, sure, that doesn't phase me..but the thought of having my life potentially taken away because of war, terror, etc NO WAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get canning coupons all the time. Made by Ball. Most grocery stores have the whole set you can by. My neighbor gives me jelly a lot I should just save what he gives me.

    ReplyDelete