Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Gorgeously Green

Because I am subjected to being home 24/7 due to my hip fracture I've had LOTS of time to read & surf the internet. I honestly hate sitting on my butt day in and day out because I know I'm getting all sorts of fat cells on my butt, hips, and thighs because of this but I have no choice until my stress fracture heals.

Anyways, I've really gotten into my vegetable garden hobby. Along with that and my increased interest in eating vegetarian I've just been reading up on all sorts of things. I feel very strongly about deciding to become vegetarian. I just feel like it is SO important to not eat all these tainted animal products. I'm trying to go as organic as possible with fruits and vegetables since even all our produce is tainted with chemicals as well. I just want to be as free from all these harmful chemicals as possible. I just want my body to be as healthy as it is supposed to be.

A few nights ago Jeff and I watched the documentary Chemerical and even though I found the main family on it SUPER annoying I completely agree and want to follow what the documentary was about. It's common sense that all our products contain harmful chemicals and it's common knowledge that all these toxins are seeping into our skin and we're breathing them in. I knew this but of course sometimes you just need a slap aside the head to really understand just how awful all this stuff is and what it's doing to us.

Anyways, I got the slap I needed and even though I have been slowly using up all my cleaning agents and beauty products I realized I just need to STOP using them and replace them all with natural, good ones. I honestly hate wasting money and the thought of just tossing all my cleaning agents and beauty products just eats at me but when you realize just how harmful all these things are you need to just suck it up and dispose of them properly. Thankfully we have a convenient place on this military base where we can drop off all toxic chemicals so I have been packing up a box and plan to drop them off there.

If you're curious to see how harmful your beauty products are I highly suggest checking out the site Skin Deep. It's a large cosmetic database where you can just type in the name of the beauty product you use and it'll give you the information on what is in it, what it does to your body and a score of 1-10 on how harmful it is.

I typed in a few of my beauty products today and let's just say I had to suck it up and dispose of some of them because they were all very high on the toxic list. One of my products even had a 9! It was an Avon eye cream and it stunned me because I LOVE Avon and the fact that I've been putting a highly toxic cream on my thin eye skin (which absorbs easily) just makes me cringe. My poor toxic body! Is there some way to detox my body of all these harmful chemicals? I have been a beauty product addict for at least 15 years so the thought of all those chemicals inside me is just revolting.

1 comment:

  1. I really struggle with this area because I LOVE to coupon as you know. The three coupon insert companies though, are huge into animal testing. I always end up weighing the two. It's just really hard to do because I can't afford to go completely organic, but I do try to use Vinegar as much as possible now. Sometimes I'd rather use something stronger though. I know it's bad, but when I'm getting stuff free or really cheap I just can't say no.

    ReplyDelete